Revealed: Shortlists for all 16 categories at the 2019 Middle East Energy Awards
This year, nominations surged by 70%, representing a wider range of companies and countries than ever before
Nominations are closed and shortlists decided for the Middle East Energy Awards. Newly rebranded and expanded, it is set to be our biggest ever celebration of the energy industry. With 14 categories open for nomination, and two editor's choice awards, this year saw a 70% surge in the number of nominations received, compared to the 2018 edition of the awards, with a wider range of companies and countries represented in the submissions received.
Scroll on for the shortlists, from which our panel of judges will select the winners and highly commended for each category.
The categories have been expanded to include the utilities sector and to reflect industry movements, including digital transformation.
The 16 awards categories, along with a brief description of the ideal nominee for that award, is as follows:
Clean Energy Initiative of the Year
This initiative demonstrates a strategic approach to lowering a company’s carbon footprint through the use of alternative energy.
- CCS and CO2 EOR Pilot Project - Saudi Aramco
- Microwave-Based Technology for In-situ Steam Generation - Saudi Aramco
- Solar Power Installations - RSA Global
- Sharjah Waste to Energy Project - Masdar and Bee'ah (Sharjah Waste to Energy LLC)
- Solar Lease - Yellow Door Energy
CSR Initiative of the Year
A CSR programme that has provided demonstrable and lasting benefits to its targeted beneficiaries.
- STEM Education Programme - ADNOC Group
- Torathuna (Our Heritage) - SATORP
- Apprentice Volunteer Programme - Saudi Aramco Industrial Training Department
Digital Enabler of the Year
A company which has made an outstanding contribution to the digital transformation of an energy firm through the use of its products or services.
- CNS Middle East
Downstream Project of the Year
The most ambitious, game-changing project in the regional refining and petrochemicals industry.
- Downstream Shared Services - Saudi Aramco
- Duqm Refinery Project - Duqm Refinery and Petrochemical Industries Company
- Project Stretch - ADNOC Group
Energy Woman of the Year
An outstanding female achiever who has a successful track record and has made a telling contribution to the energy industry.
- Alyazia Ali Al Kuwaiti, executive director of upstream and integrated sectors, Mubadala Investment Company - Petroleum and Petrochemicals division
- Amani Alghamdi, petroleum scientist, Saudi Aramco
- Dr. Idara Umoh, commercial operations director - Eastern hemisphere, Weatherford
- Giulia Castoldi, senior business development manager, SirajPower
- Nadia B Alhajji, deputy CEO, Petrochemical Industries Company
HSE Initiative of the Year
A specific initiative that has demonstrably helped to reduce accidents and problems in the workplace, and has generally improved safety.
- Reducing use of single use plastics - Altrad R B Hilton, Bahrain
- Foreman development and certification programme - McDermott Middle East
- Safety performance assessment system - Kuwait National Petroleum Company
- Workmen safety observation programme - L&T Modular Fabrication Yard LLC, Sohar, Oman
- Stay safe programme - TWMA
Logistics Service Provider of the Year
A logistics company offering innovative solutions that create value for energy companies.
- Agility (Abu Dhabi) PJSC
- Brooge Petroleum and Gas Investment Company
- Tristar Group
- Vopak Horizon Fujairah Limited
Oilfield Services Company of the Year
The most successful, innovative OFS company in the region over the last 18 months, showcasing interesting solutions.
- ADES International
- Churchill Drilling Tools
Operational Excellence Strategy of the Year
The most innovative and ambitious operational excellence project by an energy firm in the Middle East.
- Integrated creative programme for stainable oil production - Kuwait Oil Company
- Operational excellence strategy in steam management - Saudi Aramco
- SATORP operational excellence programme - SATORP
Technical Innovation of the Year
A project that demonstrates a successful, innovative technical solution, which has solved a serious problem faced by the energy industry.
- Auto well space out - Saudi Aramco
- HyPR HoleSaver - Churchill Drilling Tools
- Drone inspections and energy modeling - Enova
- Oilfield water expert system: Automated solutions through geochemical dataset - Saudi Aramco
- SmartWater-based polymer flooding - Saudi Aramco
Talent Development Initiative of the Year
An initiative that has made a difference in the industry by training the next generation of professionals, or upskilling the existing workforce.
- Future Energy Leaders programme - Mubadala Investment Company - Petroleum and Petrochemicals division
- Talent development for MENA - Halliburton
- NITAQAT: Excellence in engagement - Larsen & Toubro Saudi Arabia LLC
- Development of excellence with value - Nabors Drilling International Gulf FZE
- Nishaan - DUQM Refinery
Upstream Project of the Year
An ambitious, innovative project that optimises or streamlines upstream operations, reflecting leading behaviour in the market.
- Kurdistan gas project - Crescent Petroleum
- Ghasha project - ADNOC Group
- Unconventional gas stimulation system - Halliburton
Utilities Project of the Year
An innovative project disrupting the region’s utilities landscape, offering much-needed hope for a better, more sustainable future.
- Shuqaiq 3 desalination plant - ACCIONA
- Khan Younis Wastewater Treatment Plant - Eaton Corporation
- Renewable energy, reducing carbon footpring - RSA Global
Young Energy Professional of the Year
An employee aged 30 and younger whose work has had an overwhelmingly positive impact on his/her company over the past 18 months.
- Fajer Ahmad, Kuwait Oil Company
- Hesham Katamesh, Halliburton
- Helal Suhail Al Mazrouei, Mubadala Investment Company
- Marwah Al Ismail, Saudi Aramco
- Joëlle Tarabay, SirajPower
Editor's choice awards - the winners of these categories will be decided by the editors of Oil & Gas Middle East, Refining & Petrochemicals Middle East, and Utilities Middle East. As such, no shortlist will be published prior to the awards.
Lifetime Achievement Award
This individual has made a visible, positive impact on the regional industry, with over 25 years in the development and progress of the sector.
Innovator of the Year
This individual is dedicated to changing the industry, and takes fosters growth through innovative technologies, strategies and vision.