ADNOC sees expansion plans curbed says report
Morgan Stanley says uncertainties over concessions partly to blame
By Andy Sambridge
Other stories: Oil industry giants: Saudi Aramco | Top 10 MENA Region mega projects | Top 10 billion dollar oil deals of the summer | 2009's winners and losers in the oil industry | 10 events in oil's history that shook the world | Top 10 Gulf mega projects | Top 10 largest publicly traded oil companies | Top 10 National Oil Companies by production | World's 10 largest oilfield services companies | World's 10 largest oil and gas contractors
Abu Dhabi's plans to expand its oil production capacity has been hit by supply cuts and uncertainties over concession renewals, says a new report by Morgan Stanley.
Analysts at the investment bank said the emirate had been “forced to dramatically curb expansion projects” to raise its capacity by 40% to 4 million barrels per day (bpd) by 2015.
“The UAE’s foreign partners, including Total, Shell, BP and ExxonMobil, are reluctant to invest in further idle capacity expansion at a time when they cannot sell what they produce and are facing an uncertain outlook regarding the renewal of their concession agreements,” reported UAE daily The National on Monday, citing the study.
A number of concessions covering Abu Dhabi oilfields that were signed in the 1930s will expire in 2014 and 2018.
But the government has yet to inform the foreign partners in joint ventures with Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) whether and on what terms the contracts will be offered for renewal, the report added.
Several projects that would have added roughly 390,000 bpd of new oil output “have now slipped beyond 2012”, according to Dr Sadad al Husseini, a former Saudi Aramco executive who contributed to the Morgan Stanley report.