BP gains 4 coalbed methane PSCs in Indonesia

BP to hold 44% stake in PSC with Pertamina holding the remaining 56%

BP's CEO Bob Dudley said that this latest agreement in Indonesia is the latest in BP's efforts to access new resources in Asia and Australasia.
BP's CEO Bob Dudley said that this latest agreement in Indonesia is the latest in BP's efforts to access new resources in Asia and Australasia.

BP announced that it has signed four new coalbed methane (CBM) production sharing contracts (PSCs) in the Barito basin of South Kalimantan, Indonesia.

BP and co-owner Pertamina were jointly awarded the Tanjung IV CBM PSC through a direct award from the Government of Indonesia. BP will hold a 44% participating interest in the PSC with Pertamina holding the remaining 56%.

BP and co-owner PT Sugico Graha (Sugico) were jointly awarded the Kapuas I, II and III CBM PSCs through a direct offer from the Government of Indonesia. BP will hold a 45% participating interest in the PSCs with Sugico holding the remaining 55%.

Bob Dudley, BP group chief executive, said: “Today’s agreements follow on from BP’s recent agreements to access new resources in Indonesia, China, India and Australia. BP has significant experience and expertise in the development of unconventional gas, including coalbed methane, and we look forward to working with our partners to apply this to the potential of Indonesia's coal resources.”

Together, the four PSCs cover an area of approximately 4,800 square kilometres.

“BP is very pleased to be extending our working relationship with Pertamina in the development of Indonesian CBM resources, and also to cooperate with Sugico in creating a material CBM position in a highly prospective basin. These four PSCs complement BP’s existing CBM position in Indonesia, allowing us to leverage our 30-plus years of CBM experience to deepen our portfolio in Kalimantan,” said William Lin, BP's President of Asia Pacific Exploration & Production.

These awards mark BP’s first CBM access in Indonesia outside its joint venture with ENI, VICO, which in late 2009 was awarded the Sanga Sanga CBM PSC near the Bontang LNG plant in East Kalimantan.

BP has over 35 years of experience in Indonesia and is one of the largest foreign investors in the country. Activities are dominated by its exploration and production business, notably the Tangguh LNG operations in Papua Barat province.

VICO Indonesia is a joint venture between BP and ENI, in which BP has a 38%. VICO’s oil and gas production is centered in the Sanga Sanga PSC, East Kalimantan basin with wells located in Badak, Nilam, Semberah and Mutiara fields. Most of the natural gas is delivered to PT Badak NGL's plant at Bontang where LNG and LPG are produced and shipped.

Pertamina is Indonesia’s state-owned integrated oil and gas company with more than 50 years experience in the challenging geological environment of Indonesia and in pioneering the development of LNG. Pertamina has operations and facilities throughout Indonesia.

In the 2009 sale of BP’s interests and operatorship of the Offshore North West Java PSC to Pertamina, the two companies also agreed to cooperate on developing CBM in Indonesia.

PT Sugico Graha (Sugico) is an Indonesian-based mining and energy company formed in 1986. In partnership with other companies, Sugico has engaged in CBM exploration in Sumatra and Kalimantan.

Newsletter

Most Popular

Digital Edition

Oil & Gas Middle East - September 2020

Subscribe Now