Exxon, QP & RasGas to kick off Barzan in November

Barzan Gas Project set to break ground; train one one stream by 2014

The giant Barzan project is expected to cost around $8.6 billion.
The giant Barzan project is expected to cost around $8.6 billion.

RasGas, together with its shareholders Qatar Petroleum (QP) and ExxonMobil Corporation, will host on 1st November 2011, a stone laying ceremony to mark the beginning of the execution phase for the Barzan Gas Project - one of the biggest engineering projects ever undertaken in Qatar.

The Barzan Gas Project is strategically important for the long-term sustainable development of the State of Qatar. It will be completed in two phases: Train One will come on-stream in 2014 and Train Two in 2015. When completed the two new processing trains together with other RasGas facilities (liquefied natural gas and pipeline sales gas) will produce around 11 billion standard cubic feet per day (the equivalent of almost two million barrels of oil) and when in full operation they will supply about 1.4 billion standard cubic feet of gas per day to Qatar’s accelerating gas demand for its power stations and downstream industries. It will also provide sufficient gas to Qatar's domestic market to meet the country's growing need for clean burning natural gas well into the future.

RasGas has been entrusted to be the developer and operator of the Barzan Gas Project, with Qatar Petroleum owning a 93 per cent stake and ExxonMobil holding the remaining 7 per cent.

The Barzan Gas Project complements RasGas' long-term strategy to deliver outstanding business results and play a major part in Qatar’s economic growth. This project will generate more jobs and a wide array of opportunities for suppliers and other businesses that will positively impact the lives of people living and working in Qatar.

His Highness the Heir Apparent, Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani, will preside over the ceremony. His Excellency Dr Mohammed Al Sada, Minister of Energy and Industry and QP Chairman, along with senior QP, ExxonMobil and RasGas representatives, will attend the ceremony together with some 550 VIP guests from all spheres in the community and energy industry.


Webinar - Register to attend: Oil & gas at a digital tipping point

In partnership with leading global engineering company ABB. The webinar is free but can only be accessed by registering below in advance.


Most Popular

Digital Edition

Oil & Gas Middle East - July/August 2020

Subscribe Now